Razer-led consortium seeks full digital banking license in Singapore
Category: #business |   By Hrishikesh Kadam |   Date: 2020-01-02  | 
  • Share
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn

Razer-led consortium seeks full digital banking license in Singapore

South East Asia’s digital lending market is booming as digital payment firms continue to target younger consumers who extensively use smartphones to play, text, and stream videos and music. These brands are apparently aiming to offer faster services and more convenient options for users to help them handle daily transactions.

Gaming giant Razer, along with several homegrown Singaporean entrepreneurs and Asian billionaires, is reportedly applying for a full digital banking license.

Instead of competing with local banks, it appears that Razer Fintech, the brand’s financial technology division, is aiming to target Singapore’s youth and millennial consumer segment. The company said it plans to eventually roll out globally as Razer Youth Bank.

In a highly crowded space like Singapore, the youth and millennial segment is highly underserved, noted Lee Li Meng, the brand’s chief strategy officer, who also took over as CEO of Razer Fintech on January 1, 2020.

According to Li Meng, majority of the population between the ages of 12-35 years usually grow up with no or very little financial knowledge. Consequently, they struggle to open a bank account or get a credit card or loans when they join the workforce. Razer intends to help these consumers from a young age, he mentioned.

Razer is seemingly looking to leverage on its massive millennial fan base and its existing e-wallet platform Razer Pay and digital payment network Razer Merchant Services. Reportedly, Razer Fintech will hold a 60% stake in the group, while the remaining 40% will be owned by five partners.

Also read: Grab intends to merge Indonesian payment firms OVO and DANA

These include Shen Shiong Holdings, the private company owned by the Singaporean Lim brothers, billionaire Richard Li’s insurance firm FWD Group, entrepreneur Chen Danian’s tech firm LinkSure Global Holdings, online car marketplace Carro, and Insignia Ventures Partners.

According to sources familiar with the development, Razer’s consortium is only the second group to apply for a full digital banking license following Singapore Telecommunications and Grab holdings who announced their proposal on December 30, 2019.

The Monetary Authority of Singapore will reportedly declare the winners of five digital banking licenses at some point in mid-2020.

Apparently, the announcement comes on the heels of a similar effort in Hong Kong, where Tencent Holdings, units of Ant Financial and several other Chinese firms recently obtained licenses.  

 

Source credits: https://www.scmp.com/tech/start-ups/article/3044249/razer-teams-partners-including-sheng-shiong-fwd-join-singapores

  • share
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn


About Author

Hrishikesh Kadam    

Hrishikesh Kadam

A graduate in electronics and telecommunication engineering, Hrishikesh Kadam has always found writing fascinating. Driven by a never-ending passion for content creation combined with a bit of experience in writing personal blogs, Hrishikesh blends his technical knowl...

Read More

More News By Hrishikesh Kadam

U.S. urges Australia to ditch laws that make media giants pay for news
U.S. urges Australia to ditch laws that make media giants pay for news
By Hrishikesh Kadam

Latest in the series of events, the United States has come forward in full support for media colossuses Facebook Inc. and Google LLC. Reportedly, the U.S. government has urged the Australian authorities to reconsider their proposed law, wherein the t...

OneWeb raises USD 1.4 billion; Hughes and SoftBank lead investors
OneWeb raises USD 1.4 billion; Hughes and SoftBank lead investors
By Hrishikesh Kadam

According to reliable sources, London-based multinational broadband satellite operator OneWeb has reportedly raised USD 1.4 billion in a funding round led by Hughes Network Systems LLC and SoftBank Group Corporation. The fresh investments will allow ...

Atos to strengthen its cybersecurity footprint through In Fidem buyout
Atos to strengthen its cybersecurity footprint through In Fidem buyout
By Hrishikesh Kadam

French multinational information technology company Atos has reportedly finalized an agreement to acquire In Fidem, a Quebec-based cybersecurity specialist. According to reliable sources, In Fidem’s acquisition will allow Atos to strengthen its...