HBO Max records considerable growth, defies rival services’ performance
Category: #headlines |   By Pankaj Singh |   Date: 2022-01-07  | 
  • Share
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn

HBO Max records considerable growth, defies rival services’ performance

WarnerMedia's HBO Max streaming service added a significant number of members over the holidays, despite the decreasing pace of other competing services. This can be attributed to its programming selection that includes the relaunch of its iconic "Sex and the City" series and newly released films like ‘The Matrix Resurrections.’

HBO's streaming service and namesake cable network had 73.8 million customers at the end of the year, up from 69.4 million in September. Shares reportedly rose 3% at USD 26.46, mainly due to these increases and the acquisition of roughly 900,000 paying monthly phone subscribers.

WarnerMedia CEO Jason Kilar stated that streaming services gained an uptick higher than what they have seen so far. However, HBO Max still has a long way to go to overtake market leaders Netflix Inc. and Walt Disney Company’s Disney+, which have 214 million and 118 million members, respectively.

Notably, in Disney’s fiscal fourth quarter, growth slowed, prompting one banker to lower the shares. In the October quarter, Disney+ added only 2.1 million new subscribers. Meanwhile, Netflix, which saw a significant slowdown in the first half of 2021, revealed an increase in sign-ups in October, adding 4.4 million in the quarter, boosted by the global sensation Squid Game.

HBO Max, a WarnerMedia service, saw growth as it expanded its coverage from a single market, the United States, to 46 nations. Kilar stated that the company's global expansion will continue this year to reach 190 economies.

Last May, AT&T announced that its WarnerMedia unit would spin off and merge with Discovery. The transaction is expected to close in the middle of the year.

AT&T will receive USD 43 billion in cash upon completion of the deal, and its shareholders will own 71% of the new firm, with Discovery, which owns Discovery Channel, Food Network, Animal Planet, and other networks, owning the remaining 29%.

Source Credits-

https://telecom.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/hbo-max-shows-growth-despite-industry-slowdown/88723568

  • share
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn


About Author

Pankaj Singh    

Pankaj Singh

With a commendable experience of content creation under his belt, Pankaj Singh, a qualified Post Graduate in Management, boasts of having worked as a freelance writer and an insurance underwriter. Additionally, Pankaj has also enriched his qualification portfolio with...

Read More

More News By Pankaj Singh

Coca-Cola, Pepsi call for a global effort to lower plastic production
Coca-Cola, Pepsi call for a global effort to lower plastic production
By Pankaj Singh

Multinational corporations such as The Coca-Cola Company and PepsiCo Inc. have reportedly called for a global pact to minimize plastic production, which notably is a key growth stimulant for the oil industry.   World officials are schedule...

California’s newly proposed budget aims to address port pollution
California’s newly proposed budget aims to address port pollution
By Pankaj Singh

California Governor Gavin Newsom's recently proposed budget includes plans to combat pollution harming portside neighborhoods and improve the state's capacity to meet the nation's growing demand for imported consumer goods. The plan come...

NBCUniversal partners with RTL AdConnect to open new ad opportunities
NBCUniversal partners with RTL AdConnect to open new ad opportunities
By Pankaj Singh

Media and entertainment conglomerate NBCUniversal Media LLC has reportedly partnered with RTL AdConnect, RTL Group’s international advertising sales house. This move will result in both brands giving each other access to their digital inventory...